Monday, April 23, 2012

Foggy, Soggy Hike In Rice Canyon

We had a very HOT weekend. Temperatures in the 90's, but then this morning, there was a thick marine layer and it was drizzling some when me, my brother Keith and my dog Hiker headed to Rice Canyon for a foggy, soggy hike.



We had just started out from the trail head when we spotted a coyote running around in the ranger's yard. It noticed us and started to run up the hill, but then it stopped and sat down and just watched us as we went on up the trail. It was only about 300 yards from us. It looked friendly, but we avoided it.


Because of the late rain we've had this year, the grass was tall and green and the creek was running. There were even a few wildflowers, but very few.




Keith lead us up the trail toward the meadow on the top of the ridge.


We stopped under a tree to snap a photo of the three of us...Me, Hiker and Keith.


There was a lot of moisture on the leaves from the drizzle.


Took this photograph from the ridge. You can see the fog on the mountain tops.


We started back down the trail toward the lower meadows and the trail head where the car was parked. We did not see the coyote again, but we did come upon this gopher snake. It was stretched out across the trail and scared the heck out of me. I am scared to death of snakes whether they are poisonous or not. Keith determined it was not a rattler, chased it into the grass and Hiker and I ran past it as fast as we could go.



We were muddy and wet by the time we got back to the car. I had to give Hiker a bath when we got her home.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a pretty hike! So green! I love the coyote and snake. I hardly see anything but cows, horses, and jackrabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great hike, beautiful scenery. I love the coyote and the snake is cool as long as it is not poisonous. You and Hiker are doing some great hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am delighted with your photos showing the beautiful scenery.
    I'm curious coyote and the snake, these creatures are not mi Zanan in nature.
    Only the Zoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for hiking along with me and Hiker.
Kay